Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

I intend to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway soon and then carry on down into Florida. Has anyone done this and survived to tell the tale? How far is it and is it worth the hassle of planning this drive?



The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia


i am from just north of there and have driven down to FL, but never via the parkway. It takes far too long for me-. When I%26#39;ve driven it- it was for far shorter periods of a daytrip or an overnight stop.





It is beautiful and very scenic. Don%26#39;t expect a ton of frills with your food and accomdations unless you go for the upmarket b and b%26#39;s or hotels in the northern bit. Don%26#39;t expect even any alcohol in certain regions like NC. It is dryer than Riyadh. And don%26#39;t expect to go fast.





think if it like the lake district. people go there for nature and to walk/hike/camp.



The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia


It has been a while and not really sure but I think an area known as Skyline Drive is very pretty. A smaller version of the West Coast Highway(which everyone should do in their life) It is out of the way and somewhat time consuming,but while you%26#39;re in the area you might as well swing by The Yorktown Battlefield and throw a ceremonial white hankie on the ground.




If you go, you must leave time to drop by James Madison University in Harrisonburg and pay your respects- it%26#39;s my Alma Mater! By soon , do you mean Spring? The apple blossoms might be in bloom then- but my favorite time is fall when the leaves turn- either way it%26#39;s a beautiful drive - not fast , but scenic!





I haven%26#39;t been back in years, but get on the Virginia Fori and you%26#39;ll get lots of help!!








http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/map1.htm





This would be a wealth of information if you haven%26#39;t found it yet!




The %26#39;Northern bit%26#39; I referred to was Skyline drive.





and I certainly don%26#39;t require you to go all the way to Yorktown like BT on the coast to re-enact the British surrender. I know you regret it dearly and are pained enough lol. Imagine what things would be like if you%26#39;d kept us and never bothered with the Raj ;-)





A




I lived in the heart of the Blue Ridge mountains, in Harrisonburg. Went to university there. Best place I%26#39;ve ever been. Warm people, beautiful country and yellow cheese. I lived next to Dayton, VA which is a Mennonite town, people traveled in horses and buggies and had ';barnraisings';. Their stores sold things in plastic baggies with ties, not commercial wares.




good lord KW, from there to KW?





Which was the rebellion part lol.





Both lovely places in MHO, you%26#39;ve chosen well.




and I%26#39;m set to retire in Hawaii....go figure.




I%26#39;m thinkin you re far from finishing the rebellion phase!





Which Island? I love Maui and the Oahu North Shore.




I have a place outside Lahaina.

No comments:

Post a Comment