Thursday, April 19, 2012

Could I survive on $50 a day in Fort Lauderdale?

I am planning a month long trip to somewhere sunny at the end of next year and realise that it will be high season so I will pay a premium for a motel. If I finally decide on Fort Lauderdale I will hopefully get a good price at a small establishment based on a month long rental but I am wondering about restaurant prices and also transport. Could I manage on $50 a day for food and transport? I don%26#39;t expect fine dining for this amount or taxis and would hopefully be able to find somewhere with a kitchen so that I could prepare some meals myself.



Could I survive on $50 a day in Fort Lauderdale?


Check out this lodging. Daily and weekly rates. We stayed there. They have different types of rooms to suit your needs. Non-chlorinated swimming pool, tennis courts and across the street from the beach, literally. A very good deal:





http://tropirock.com/



Could I survive on $50 a day in Fort Lauderdale?


You%26#39;ll be severly limited by using public transport. Be prepared to put up with a lot of waiting.




If you stay along the beach ( or a block or two off it) the Sun Trolley will be economical and better than the regular city bus ( which runs there too). It can get you north or south or you can transfer to go across Las Olas Blvd. I don%26#39;t know how much you like top eat, but I think you can do it on $50/day if you stick to burgers , fish sandwiches, chicken wings etc. Places like Cafe Bluefish, Primanti Brothers ( giant sandwiches and good pizza open 24 hrs) , Quarterdeck etc. Also the bar/ grill of Bahia Cabana Days Inn is a nice reasonable place for sitting along the water.- but don%26#39;t stay in the motel Look for happy hourspecials like 2/1 drinks or beer. If you are near 17th St. the Shipwrecked bar has $1 draft beers and chicken wing specials and Southport Raw Bar in that area usually has good Happy Hour stuff too. If you get a place with a fridge there are many places that do precooked chickens etc.





I think your main problem will be getting from Airport to your hotel and back again- it is almost impossible by bus and a shuttle will likely be $15-20 each way plus tip, depending on where you stay. A taxi would be even more .And do be careful because some of those ';small establishments '; can be pretty bad ( Sea Club and Avalon should be avoided among others.)




Happy, try to prepare as many meals as you can. The previous poster suggested Priamanti Brothers, which is a pretty good restaurant for cheap. I recommend it too.





What I don%26#39;t recommend is Felix%26#39;s (unsure now if that is the name). But they advertise themselves as an award winning Florida restaurant with 3 for 1 drinks. Yeah! What a scam! I had three drinks and they weren%26#39;t even good and was charged $17! They do a lot of advertising so if you see Felix or something about a cat....beware! Don%26#39;t fall for it.




I%26#39;m pretty sure you could survive on $50 a day for food and public transport. Other posters suggestions of Primantis are good. From memory their Jumbo Breakfast was $5.85 for 2 eggs meat and potatoes - filled us up until dinner. Sandwiches at the Bluefish and Quarterdeck ranged from around $10 and came with fries. I can recommend the Cocobelle on Vistamar Street they have reasonably priced efficiencies so you could easily prepare your own meals. If you decide on Fort Lauderdale I%26#39;m sure you will have a great time. I wish I could spend a month there - I feel quite envious.




I%26#39;m trying to figure out the correct name of the bar wheer the previous poster felt scammed. Can%26#39;t think opf one with a ';cat '; name. Would help if you can give me a general idea about where they are located. It is probably a ';tourist trap'; and we%26#39;ll want to warn folks to stay away. Any general info you can give me qwill help me figure it out. Any other folks have an idea what place he%26#39;s speaking of?




Thanks very much for everyones%26#39; help. I now need to draw up a list of potential lodgings to contact. I am a bit confused by the reviews of some of the smaller establishments, they seem to get either glowing or terrible reviews within a short space of time making it very difficult to get a true picture. Then there are the odd one or two that get consistently, unbelievably, too good to be true reviews.





I am in my late 60%26#39;s, straight male, travelling alone, all I need is a cheap, clean efficiency in an area convenient for public transport. Oh and I would like an on site swimming pool, but that is not an essential.





All suggestions would be very welcome.




See what the Cocobelle will charge for your dates- very clean and a nice pool- you would only be a couple of blocks off the beach and the Sun Trolley, city buses and the Water taxi are all viable o[ptions in that area. Tropi-Rock is another good option in the same area- a little shabbier in places and a bit ';funky '; in decor, but clean and friendly.




Hello happytraveller.



I think you can survive on 50 a day.



There is two of us and we survive on 100 a day!



But you will have to be careful and plan every day of course!



We dont travel much by taxi, but take the local busses, and it works great. We also try to find a room with refrigirator, and we sometimes do. if you have to pay for it, it usually helps if you have some medicin that have to stay cold!!!! and you probably wont have to pay!



If not we buye one of those coolers you can get at the grocery store.Cost very litle, and fill it with icecubes. Keeps the food nice and cold to.Also its very inexpensive to eat at the mall.Foodcourt.



At Galleria mall in fort lauderdale is very nice foodcourt. And the hotells always have a micro oven you can use, bye some tv dinners sometimes at the grocery store. You will need some water of course, we often fill up our botles at a drinking fountain!



Also bring some good shoes, it is so nice to walk around and you will see a lot of int. stores and places. Have a good trip, and a safe one. Gausdal.




It can be done comfortably - The #1 bus takes you from right outside Terminal 1 to Broward Central Terminal for a buck (with transfer to Ft Laud Youth Hostel) - across from Tommy Hilfiger%26#39;s double pink towers, where Oprah and J Lo both have suites, at north end of Beach on A1A ($100/wk) $5 day pass on intra coastal waterway takes you right to Shooters for Happy Hour drinks and snacks nightly with hostel folks who love to party - most from other countries not US. Also Rx at corner of Oakland Park and A1A has a 6 pk of beers for like $2.99. It%26#39;s sick dude.



Enjoy the good life for $35/day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment