Thursday, April 19, 2012

Do you recommend renting a car for stay in Fort Lauderdale?

My husband and I are going to Ft Lauderdale this week to celebrate our 24th anniversary. We are unfamiliar with the area. Will we need a rental car or will we have plenty to do without one? Also, can you advise us about the best seafood restaurant specializing in shrimp and oysters that is close by?

Do you recommend renting a car for stay in Fort Lauderdale?

I think it depends on how long you are staying and where. If you are near a sun trolley stop and water taxi stop you will be able to explore further than the area you are staying. I think there is plenty to see and do for 4-5 days.

If longer you may want to rent a car for part of your stay to explore a little further. And if you like to shop and want to go to Sawgrass Mills you need a car for that trip.

Just make sure to check your hotel parking rates. Some of them are very high.

Do you recommend renting a car for stay in Fort Lauderdale?

Here is the sun trolley and water taxi info in case you don%26#39;t have it

suntrolley.com

watertaxi.com


We could better advise if we knew your hotel. I do have to say that while a few places have oysters , they are not wildly popular here or found everywhere- and I know of no place I could say really ';specializes '; in them. There are a few places with raw bars that sell them and a few that serve them fried. I tend to get mine at a few of our local bars ( Southport Raw Bar is one popular spot) but don%26#39;t often see them at many seafood restaurants.


I might be able to help you with the oyster query if I knew if you were looking for on the half shell or fried etc- strangely (or maybe not) many places have one but not the other - leading me to think the fried ones may start out as frozen in many places. I do get half shell, Rocekerfeller, Bienville, Black n Bleu and also fried at another little ';dive bar'; called Shuck and Dive, but it%26#39;s certainly not fancy. A really ritzy restaurant called 3030 Ocean at the Harbor Beach Marriott has had raw oysters when I%26#39;ve been - but may not always as their menu changes with availability. Seawatch and Old Florida Seafood House also have had them on their menu - at least raw- but I%26#39;ve never ordered them at either spot.

Truthfully the Gulf coast of Florida is much more noted for oysters ( and shrimp too really) than here on the Atlantic Ocean.


Thank you all for your responses. We will be staying from 1/27-1/31. We are staying at the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort. We love our seafood fried. We normally vacation in Gulf Shores AL and love to eat at the Original Oyster House. We were looking for something similar. We are comfortable in a casual atmosphere instead of elegant. We are not the ';nightlife/bar type';. Looking forward to wearing flip-flops and shorts in January. LOL I hope this extra info helps. Thank you so much for all the input that you have already given.


Whish Fort Lauderdale Beach resort? There are two one on North Ocean and one on Breakers.


I established from your other post that it%26#39;s the one on Breakers. I think rental car or not depends on how far afield you want to go in town. If you are just hoping to stay along the ebach , you might be able to use Sun Trolley ( only 50 cents a ride) and you will probably want an all day Water Taxi pass for one day ($12pp) which you can take all the way down to Las Olas for dining after spending teh day on the Intracoastal. Get it on a day when you have lots of time as it is scenic but slow. If you really want to go out and about like to teh Everglades for an airboat ride or to Sawgrass Outlet Mall to shop, public transportation options off the ebach area are not great, so I%26#39;d consider a car- parking at your resort( a timeshare I think) is free I believe- in some hotels parking is $25 a day.

Your previous question about getting from the airport ties in here- I think if you dcide not to rent a car, you may as well take a taxi if there are two of you- I can%26#39;t imagine it would be more than $20-$25 and if it is split between the two of you, it will likely be the same or only a few dollars more than 2 shuttle fares , which are per person- and it will be much quicker and more convenient than waiting for a shuttle and stopping at other hotels.

Since we have established you%26#39;ll be at the Breakers hotel ( much better than the other one with a similar name I think) I can recommend one casual dining spot nearby for peel n eat shrimp or coconut shrimp and casual atmosphere - and that is Cafe Bluefish( the other poster Sue likes it too). It%26#39;s an easy walk for you and if you sign up at www.cafebluefish.com when you study the menu, they may e-mail you a discount coupon in time. They have good happy hour and frequently some music playing. It%26#39;s a good spot for a casual meal or happy hour. Some of the other casual restaurants along the Water Taxi route may also have oysters but I%26#39;m not sure. I%26#39;ll repost if I come up with some!

  • dwight howard advice
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment