Thursday, April 12, 2012

How to best get around - on foot, rental car or taxi?

I am going to Ft. Lauderdale next week for a conference, staying at the Ft. Lauderdale Grande. I will be by myself and do not know the city at all. The hotel is under renovation and its restaurants are out of commission, so I will have to get out for my meals. Not knowing the city at all, I%26#39;d love to take cabs if that%26#39;s doable, but if it%26#39;s a city that makes more sense to get a rental, I can do that instead. Can any locals give me any advice?





Leslie



How to best get around - on foot, rental car or taxi?


There are several nice restaurants just west of the Grande that are walkable- Bimimi Boatyard and Bravo Italian are among them. Also several others further west a block or two more. I think if you only need to get out for dining , I%26#39;d skip the rental- it will cost you about $20 a day to park it there and I suspect you can make your way around between the Sun Trolley ( which runs down your street Thurs- sunday usually and more if there is a big convention) and a Taxi if needed. If you really want to get out and see sights and have several hours , an all day Water Taxi pass is about $12 I think and there is a stop at the Convention Center right near your hotel- and for all I know they may be again stopping directly at your hotel now that it%26#39;s back in operation. If you should need a rental car once you get to your conference, there is a little Budget office right next door in the same strip of shops as Bimini Boatyard . The only other question would be getting to and from the Airport and your choices would be taxi ( about $20) or Go Shuttle shared ride van ( I%26#39;m going to guess $10-12 , which you can catch outside bagggae claim.)





Sounds like you will be mostly in meetings and and won%26#39;t get the chance to do much driving. If that were not the case, I might feel differently!



How to best get around - on foot, rental car or taxi?


Hi Leslie -



I agree with Lulu...you don%26#39;t really need a car to get around. The trolley is inexpensive and is a fun way to get from the Grande to Las Olas, the beach, etc. As well, the water taxi has a stop just outside of the Grande, under the bridge. It%26#39;s very entertaining also because you get to see lots of amazing homes (and the homeowners always seem to leave every light on in the evenings so you can see inside!).



Many people attending the conference are probably staying at the Grande as well, so I would imagine you%26#39;ll have lots of people to share cabs with if you decide to ';cab it';.



Be sure to check out Las Olas Boulevard - and stop at Silver Street Jewelers across from the Riverside Hotel if you like silver jewelery!




Thanks very much for the information. I%26#39;ve definitely decided against a cab based on this input. Thanks again!





Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment