Thursday, April 19, 2012

Which Port Orleans Resort?

We are going to disney in April for a week with a very large group of family. There will be 6 adults and 5 children ages ranging from 1-8 years old. We are really torn about which hotel to go to. We%26#39;ll be spending most of our time in the parks, but will be setting time aside to go in the pool. The pool is very important to us. We want to make sure that it%26#39;s fun for the kids (Riverside looks boring). Can anyone give me some advice on which of the two resorts you think is best? I%26#39;m really not thrilled about the idea of going to a massive hotel and do a lot of walking. However, we really want all our needs to be met, mainly about the pool. We want a resort geared towards children. What do you think? Which hotel has better food, cleaner and overall nicer?



Which Port Orleans Resort?


I would go with the French Quarter. It is much smaller and easier to get around and has a great pool with a wonderful slide,just right for kids. the food at both of them is...medicore. But you are just a boat ride away from Downtown Disney so there are plenty of options there. If the pool is really important and you can stretch the budget,you might want to look at the Yacht and Beach Club-but if not,you will be happy with the French Quarter I think and it%26#39;s theming.



Which Port Orleans Resort?


I was leaning towards the FQ, but then I think about all that the Riverside has to offer. It has a butterfly garden, fishing hole, and wildlife on the property. It also has a grab and go place to take some food. Does the FQ have that? Does the FQ have a place to eat near the pool?




I was really torn about POR vs FQ and we went again with Riverside. My two kids absolutely LOVED the resort and couldn%26#39;t get enough of the pool. They really enjoyed the pool so much. We all thought the food at Riverside was very good. I can%26#39;t complain. Let me know if you have any other questions.




I believe the butterfly garden is no longer at POR - I asked last time I was there.





However, I have been to both FQ and POR and must say I prefer POR because of the amenities. Lots of quiet pools, which the kids love, larger foodcourt plus a restaurant, plus the facilities mentioned above.





Accommodation is pretty much identical in both resorts. POR is much larger however, so I%26#39;d recommend asking for a block closer to the main facilities. Having said that, the furthest accomm is less than a 10 minute walk from the reception/foodcourt.




Family of 5 grownups off to Disney French Quarter on 12/26/07. Heard it is great.My problem is dinner reservations, I have the Dining plan, which I think is reasonable for the ages of my family BUT I can%26#39;t get reseravtions. Any thoughts. Thanks and Happy New Year.




dad, after you check-in at FQ go right over to the Guest Services and have them look for Dining Options. If you have the Disney Dining Plan, they will find you a few spots, they may not be at ';prime'; times but they will do their best to get you some reservations.



Faith, Both Resorts have plenty to offer. We have found however, when traveling with just Adults, FQ gets the vote and when the kids have a say, it%26#39;s POR. Having the extra quiet Pools is a big plus and the food court is abit better. The grounds are spread out quite abit more and it gives you the sense of it not being crowded, even when it%26#39;s booked full. Of coarse when you%26#39;re at the main pool you%26#39;ll know just how many people there are staying there :)



Either will be fun, either will give you that ';Disney'; feeling. Have another look at both on allearsnet.com or wdwinfo.com, maybe let the kids have a look also.



April should be a lovely time to go, enjoy !




The pool at the FQ is really pulling me to that side. When I compared pictures, that pool is so much brighter and festive. Then I here about the foodcourt in POR and then I think twice. I never thought this would be so hard! The pool at POR is so dull compared to FQ.




POR is my suggestion. It is not that far to walk from any room to lobby area. Maybe a couple of minutes.



We were there when POR was booked and only way we could tell was @main swimming pool. We only swam there once and not for long--there is piped in music which was too loud for us. And of course, happy loud children and plenty of life guards to watch over them. Towels are provided @main pool. I liked quiet pools. Laundramats are VERY clean--don%26#39;t overpack--just 1 visit while you swim. There were no guards @quiet pools.





We only ate counter service meals @food court, did not eat @Boatwrights. CS meals were good--DH and I fave was to order pasta that is cooked to order w/your choice of sauce, veggies, meat, and pasta. One order was enough for both of us. Pizza is available, it was crispy on top. Once I got roast beef with choice veggies, it was bland, but okay. There is a bakery section as well. I%26#39;d rather eat in parks.





We only went to lounge when Piano guy wasn%26#39;t there. Can%26#39;t recall his name. Kids would be loud and marching around bar as he played and sang. Sorry, we wanted some peace and quiet @that time.





Room was very clean and we had towel animals each day. There is small coffee maker w/supplies in the room. I brought bottled water in our luggage to put in room%26#39;s compact refrig. Also got milk %26amp; Entemanns from POR store for b%26#39;fast. Store sold other items as well.





All cast members were friendly %26amp; helpful!!





You really can%26#39;t go wrong choosing either resort. BUT POR has more amenities IMO.



I vot POR for adults and children. ((+.+))








I decided to go with POFQ. I decided to go there because of it%26#39;s size and the bus situation. I really didn%26#39;t like the idea of going to a huge resort. I%26#39;ve done that before in Mexico without children and I thought it was hard then. Now we%26#39;ll have 5 kids, 2 under 1 year old and the idea of walking far didn%26#39;t appeal to me. I know that the food court is better in riverside but we are spending most of our time in the parks so I didn%26#39;t think it was a big deal. I liked the pool in FQ better as well. I hope I made the right choice. I know that when our bus drives through riverside, I%26#39;ll be kicking myself because of it%26#39;s beauty, but I%26#39;ll have to remember that it%26#39;s really too big for our family.





Thanks for your feedback!




Hi,



I%26#39;m going to Disney in April also. I purchase a book called the ';Passporters'; Walt Disney World at Borders Books. I also purchased the Birnbaum%26#39;s book. I am a serious planner and I always make an itinerary. I found a website in the Passporter book for vacation home rentals. They are really spacious. The website is www.allstarvacationhomes.com. We are probably going to stay at the Windsor Hills one. I did a post and received 5 responses. Everyone loved it there. You could probably rent one of the houses and split it with your large group. The properties look beautiful. We usually rent a car because with young children it%26#39;s a pain waiting for the Disney Transportation. You probably will not be taking advantage of the late night after hours opening (Magic Hours)with that age group of kids.





Hope this Helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment