Monday, April 23, 2012

Alligators and Crocodiles?

I know this is a crazy question. My husband is really wanting to go to the beach. I am really really scared that there will be lots of aligators or crocodiles. Is this a fact? Is there alot of them, and if so are they in areas where I will be looking for seashells, or laying out on the beach? Please HELP ME!!!! I would appreciate it so much. I think I am looseing sleep over it!

Thanks

Mindy

Alligators and Crocodiles?

You will NOT find alligators or crocodiles on the beaches in Sanibel. Sanibel is home to alligators, as is all of Florida, but they reside in the marshy areas, lakes, and ponds. Rarely do they venture to the sea. Just stay away from those areas if you are so afraid of them. Some people are dissapointed that they didn%26#39;t see any alligators on their trip, so don%26#39;t worry, just enjoy the beach.

Alligators and Crocodiles?

The only croc%26#39;s on the beach you will see will be the ones on peoples feet. You will be safe!


Thanks so much to both of you. I feel better now!!

Thanks


Alligators require fresh water to brackish water. They aren%26#39;t fond of salt water but will swim in it on occasion to get places. They live in almost any fresh water area on the island and like tall grasses and marshy areas. Avoid walking in heavy vegetation near water sources.

Alligator human interactions are very limited. Many people go thru Ding Darling, home to some 300 gators, and never even see a gator. The cit of Sanibel removes any %26#39;aggressive%26#39; gator that is in human area and is over 4 feet long. In a 2 year period some 80 gators were removed. Mostly from residential areas around lakes and canals.

Crocs and gators do not get along and live entirely separate lives. There is only 1 croc on Sanibel and she hasn%26#39;t been seen for awhile. I saw it only 1 time in all my trips and that was in Ding Darling. I have never, ever seen a gator on the beach.


Thank you so much for your response, I am feeling alot better!!


You would have to TRY to see one, and even then it wouldn%26#39;t be on, or near the beach.

  • identifying rows
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment