Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Snorkeling?

We have a short (4 day) trip planned to southern Florida and trying to decide between AMI and the Keys. A factor for me is snorkeling - I only snorkel from the shore (shallow) but I do love it and it will be an important part of the vacation for me.





Knowing that, I%26#39;d love feedback on whether there is good shore snorkeling on AMI, or if I should just plan on the Keys instead, with maybe a day trip to AMI. TIA!



Snorkeling?


If snorkeling is important, I%26#39;m not sure AMI is the best choice. From what I%26#39;ve heard I think Key West has much better snorkeling. However, Key West does not have great beaches. I know AMI has great beaches.





I don%26#39;t know of any snorkeling in or around AMI and would be interested in hearing from others on this. Whenever we have snorkeled from shore, we haven%26#39;t seen anything. But that could just be us.





AMI and Key West are not really day trip apart. It is more of an either or decision.



Snorkeling?


not much to see when snorkelling around AMI - a few fish, nothing particularly colourful like you would see on a reef. However beaches are great and plenty of Pelicans etc to observe.



Often see Dolphins and the occassional Manatee on the bay side.




I%26#39;ve heard there was a bit of decent snorkeling just off shore at Coquina Beach. I believe there is some type of artificial reef there. Anyone know anything more?




Kris, there was the wreck of an old sugar barge *eons* ago -- but I%26#39;m fairly certain that the hurricanes in recent years have either buried or obliterated it.




This feedback helps me so much...I don%26#39;t know how I would plan a vacation without these forums and all the helpful people I have found here.





Thanks for taking the time to respond!


  • cream tones
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment