Monday, April 23, 2012

Rental Cars at FLL

A bit of a broad question, but here goes...



My wife and I will be flying in to FLL early April (8th) for trip to the Keys. I have been looking for rental cars and noticed the rates are quite high for Compact class. Most agencies are 400.00+ for 1 week rental of a Compact. For those that use FLL around that time of year, are these rates common for the airport location? Or should I check back, say, in a month or so and search for better rates.



Rental Cars at FLL


I don%26#39;t go at that time of year so I don%26#39;t know if it is common. I have heard of tourists getting good rental car rates through Costco. If you are a member, give them a try. Also search the car rental websites on a daily basis. Couldn%26#39;t hurt. Check your Happenings coupon book to see if there is a car rental coupon. Ask your employer if you have a corporate discount. And post on forums like this one! Good luck!



Rental Cars at FLL


Have you tried enterprise? They tend to be the cheapest. If they don%26#39;t have an airport location they will pick you up. Also try dollar or thrifty. Dont use avis or alamo they are more expensive usually.




Is that $400 including taxes etc? If so, that%26#39;s what I seem to be finding for your dates with the exception of Payless , which is a lot less expensive , but is not always satisfactory to some folks from what I have read( never used them myself).





I went to www.breezenet.com and when the first few companies come up, you can click something like ';show more offers'; and that is where cheaper companies ( like Payless) sometimes show up. We%26#39;ve rented two cars through breezenet.com - the most recent being in Jackson, Wy , so I know they are reputable. The advantage is that you can check all companies at once on that site.







I know some people use Hotwire or Priceline for rental cars - and as they only deal with major firms that might be a good way to try- though I have never done it myself and they can%26#39;t be cancelled once made. I don%26#39;t know what might be going on in April that would cause such high rates, but rates usually are supply/demand thing. Except for booking through Priceline/Hotwire I think you generally can always cancell a rental with no problem ( but check the fine print to be sure). So you might want to book something now and keep looking as time goes on- I changed one car rental three times, cancelling and booking with the same company as rates went down- who knows if they will or won%26#39;t . Good luck!




Advo- give this locally owned company with desks at both FLL and MIA a look- they seem to have good rates for your dates and Royal is a long time business here and well regarded. I took a brief look at their rules and the cars can go anywhere in the state- just not outside FL- but be sure to read their rules and regs in case I missed anything:





http://www.royalrac.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment