Saturday, April 21, 2012

Trip Report Jan 5-12/08 (long)

Let me start out by introducing myself. I used to be journalism major, so I tend to go into detail when describing things (for which I apologize in advance). These are my personal observations; your experiences may differ from ours. We by no means are seasoned travellers, but we have been “off the farm” once or twice! Our group consisted of my hubby, our sons’ ages 12 %26amp; 14, and myself. We have never been on a winter vacation, never been to Florida, Disney or Universal, so this is all very new to us. We were offered “free” accommodations at a friend’s timeshare (Westgate Villa) in Kissimmee, which is what prompted this vacation. We chose to go the second week of January as we had heard that the crowd levels were lower at this time of year and my hubby is not a patient person when asked to stand in line!



Saturday, January 5, 2008 - Arrival



We arrived in Orlando at 7:15 p.m. walked about 3 feet into the airport when the humidity hit us (we’re prairie folk and not used to “moist” air!) proceeded to baggage claim (we had gone through customs in our home airport), found our slightly wet luggage and headed to Budget to pick up our rental car. We were given a choice between a Grand Prix and an Impala and picked the one with the larger trunk (the Impala). I have never seen such a HUGE trunk on a car. My youngest who is 4’11” literally crawled into the trunk and fit both sideways and lengthwise!! It was a great car to drive, though why you need heated leather seats in Florida is beyond me!



We navigated our way to Westgate, checked in and were shown to a lovely (if slightly dated) 2-bedroom, 2-bath condo. The boys were excited as they each had their own double bed in their shared room, with the main bathroom accessed from their room by a pocket door, or the main condo area by a regular door. In this bathroom there were 5 bath towels, 7 hand towels and 6 face cloths, and fully glassed in tub/shower area. Altogether each bed had 4 pillows; there were 10 hangers in the closet and 2 extra pillows and blankets. The master bedroom was huge with a king bed and the biggest Jacuzzi tub I’ve ever seen. It took 25 minutes to fill it (yes, I did manage the time to relax in it once during our stay)! Towels were well stocked in this bathroom as well with 10 “pool” towels, 8 bath towels, 5 hand towels and 4 face cloths. There was 6 pillows on the bed; 2 more in the closet with 2 extra blankets, 12 hangers and a small safe. There was a marble hexagon table in the dining area with 4 chairs as well as a breakfast bar with 3 stools. The living room area had a sectional sofa large enough for at least 8 to sit comfortably, 12 hangers in the coat closet and 3 TV’s, one in each bedroom and 1 in the living area. There was also a screened patio area with a lounge chair, 2 plastic chairs and a small table.



We headed out again around 10:00 p.m. to find some dinner and locate Wal-Mart to stock up on some goodies. We had dinner at Key W Kools, which was fantastic (see my review). Even though the restaurant closes at 11:00, they seated us and didn’t rush us through our meal. We were finished about 11:15 p.m. and headed up (down?) 192 to find the Wal-Mart, which we located on the “corner” of 192 and 27. That store was beyond huge. We took our time finding breakfast and lunch supplies and got to the checkout around 12:05 a.m. It always amazes me how many people shop at that time of night. There was a 30-minute cue at the checkouts!! I told the family to be prepared because this was only the start of cueing for things here in Florida. We arrived back at the condo, unpacked and hit the hay by about 1:00 a.m.



Trip Report Jan 5-12/08 (long)


Personally I like long reports if they are as well detailed as yours.





But I am seeing a problem coming up. with your late nights and jet lag, I%26#39;m thinking you will be late to the parks the next day and will suffer longlinitis. and, the best time to shop at walmart with no lines is at meal times, or at 6 am when I am up with my jetlag.





I wonder, will your next report prove me wrong or right?





A



Trip Report Jan 5-12/08 (long)


Thanks Amanx,



The rest of the trip shouldn%26#39;t be quite so long or detailed!



DeeDee




Hi Deedee, when you said detail, you really meant detail. Love it. You actually counted the hangers and the towels? Now that is detail. Can not wait for what is coming next, hurry up! EvieCee.




I meant to count the hangers my last trip but was too jetlagged, hnonest




34 hangers all together ? Super :)



I agree, love a good long trip report



I await day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment