Saturday, March 24, 2012

Trip from AMI to Key West

Thanks to this forum I cancelled our Fort Lauderdale trip and change this in KW. So now we%26#39;ll be staying 3N at the Tortuga Gardens and than we%26#39;re going to KW (Beginning of May)





Does anyone knows how long this trip will takes actually? Googlemaps says it%26#39;s about a 7 hour drive. We want to arrive at KW around 4PM on a tuesday. So I think we have to leave AMI around 8AM?



Trip from AMI to Key West


Normally I would say plan on 8 hours...



I often drive this way from AMI to Key West but we usually do an airboat Ride in the everglades and have lunch in a nice bar when you come to longboat key over card sound road.





4 to 5 pm is the perfect time to arrive!



take a shower and then go out for sunset cellebration!!





:-)



Trip from AMI to Key West


OOOOOH!





One word about speed limits!!



Sometimes you are allowed to do only 30 Miles an Hour on the keys...





DON`T go faster...



Strictly enforced.





And BTW, the scenic is well worse the ride. So enjoy a wonderful day !




Glad we convinced you, I dont think you will be sorry, Anna Maria is a special place, much different from Key West so you will be able to experience both of what they have to offer!




So if I plan an 8-hours drive, should this be a non-stop drive?





It%26#39;s good to hear KW is different from AMI. I think KW must be great (never been there) but maybe more turistic and certainly not a place to relax. For AMI I%26#39;m already affraid to fall in love with this island..........





I plan to take a look at the place where your condo is situated, Floridianer! Maybe for a longer stay next time.





Does anyone knows if it%26#39;s wise to deliver the carrental in KW because you don%26#39;t need one and parking is difficult?




I would say make a few short stops...





One in the everglades for a ride (45 Min Stop)





and one at the beginning of the keys in Key Largo for Lunch.





then go down to Key West and enjoy another different unique athmosphere!



Great nightlife BUT this is NOT a beach location!!!!





Choose a hotel or Motel on or near Duval Street because this is where everything happens.



Sothernmost motel is nice...





Yes, come and have a look at it :-)





You will enjoy this vacation and I am pretty sure that the ';bug'; will get you!!!





:-)




Hey Floridianer, guess where we made reservations in KW? Yes exactly at the Southernmost on the beach motel!Looks nice, only a pitty of constructions next to SMOTB.(they%26#39;re expanding)





I%26#39;m aware of the no beach action in KW, that%26#39;s why we first go to AMI. The AMI beaches looks lovely ,like the Caribbean!!!Can%26#39;t hardly wait.............





Thanks for trip advice!




Good idea to skip FLL and head to key west. AMI and KW are very different, in many good ways.





You should post on the Key West forum, they have lots of local experts who reply often.





You might want to consider taking the boat express from the Ft. Myers area to Key West, depending on where you are going from KW. It is a LONG drive from AMI to KW. But if you are not from Florida, it may be a nice experience.





The key to driving to KW is avoiding the rush hour travel in and around I-75. So if you are leaving on a weekday, keep that in mind.




Actually I was/am considering the boat express to KW but I read that sometimes this boat doesn%26#39;t go b/c of weather conditions. I dont%26#39;know if this may be the case at the beginning of May. And I%26#39;m not sure it%26#39;s a good idea for my family to do this b/c of rough seas(?). Did you ever take this boat?





Still I see it as an option to deliver our car in Fort Myers and take the express to KW. No need for a car in KW I think. And after 3days rent a car and than take the scenic route to FLL to catch our flight.





What time is rush hour around I-75?




Another option: does anyone has experience with Cape Air flights from FM to KW. I can this for €93. It%26#39;s done with a Cessna 402. The flight only takes 1 hour..........I %26#39;ll drop this question also on the KW-forum




Ciskey - Take the plane and enjoy more time in Key West.





We just took the Key West Express Ferry in late December and although it was really nice, clean, staff very informed and friendly and comfortable setting, it takes way too long. You have to board the ship by 7:30 am and it doesnt leave until around 9:30, gets in to Key West around 12:30. On the way back it you can get preboarding so you dont have to get on the boat until 5:30, leaves at 6:30, gets back to Ft. Myers around 10:00. As I said it is a long trip, if you decide to go bring something to read or cards to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment